Monday, August 31, 2015

Q&A with the newest member of the VHC team

Meet Alison Scheib, PA-C! As a certified Physician Assistant, Ali supports Dr. Cindy Asbjornsen, founder of the Vein Healthcare Center. As a trained sclerotherapist, she performs ultrasound-guided and light-assisted sclerotherapy, a procedure for treating venous insufficiency, particularly smaller “spider veins.”

In addition to spending time with her husband (a fellow PA-C at a veterans hospital) and their two children, Ali loves outdoor activities like swimming and waterskiing. Read on to learn more about Ali.

Q:  What is a Physician Assistant?
A:  A physician assistant, or PA, is a nationally certified and state-licensed medical professional. PAs practice medicine on healthcare teams with physicians and other providers and can prescribe medication. I earned my PA degree from the University of South Alabama and practiced Family Medicine for 15 years in Camden, Maine. 

Q:  How do you help patients at VHC?
A:  I perform ultrasound-guided and light assisted-sclerotherapy on patients, sometimes in follow-up to EVLA treatment. Dr. Asbjornsen and I work together as a team to treat each patient to achieve the best outcome. 

Q: What is your goal for each patient?
A: To make them feel better, both mentally and physically. After treatment, I want them to feel comfortable wearing shorts if that’s important to them. I want them to experience activities that they couldn’t do before because their legs were too sore or tired. I want them to be—and feel—healthier!

Q: Why are you a good fit for VHC?
A: I have the primary care background to see the patient as a whole person, not just the one ailment they’re seeking help for. And like the rest of the staff, I like to spend time with patients to make sure they are comfortable and understand their medical disease and treatment options. 

Q: What do you like the most about vein care?
A: I love being able to focus on one aspect of a patient's healthcare while still treating the "whole" person. I’m also excited that phlebology is still a fairly new specialty, and I’m looking forward to working with Dr. Asbjornsen on doing research that can continue to advance the field.

No comments :

Post a Comment